In 1898 Swedish Covenant Hospitals Board of Directors announced the establishment of the Swedish Covenant Hospital School of Nursing (SCHSN). In 1900 Hilda Rodberg became the first graduate and went on to become a well respected missionary nurse in China.
1900 also marked the year the Lighted Candle was designed as the official emblem representing the school of nursing on all printed materials. Irene Oberg, who was the director of the school designed the emblem to represent the “carrying of light into darkened hearts.”
Over 1,400 nurses have graduated from Swedish Covenant Hospital and their light still shines brightly every June when they hold their annual reunion luncheon.